Time Description Room Location 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM Grand Ballroom Foyer Hyatt Regency 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- CCIM Course: Commercial Real Estate Negotiations (Ticketed Event)
- Learn and apply the CCIM Interest-based Negotiations Model to your most challenging transactions. Learn new, proven strategies to client acceptance that will get you out of the "high/low game" and other tactics that can derail a successful transaction.
Interest-based negotiation is a 3-step process that brings discipline to your negotiation strategies.
It involves identifying:
- What parties are involved in the negotiation, and what are they seeking?
- What can we do to get the other parties what they need, so that we can get what we want?
- What happens if there is no agreement?
- Satisfy the interests of parties involved in the negotiation (without sacrificing yours)
- Develop strategies for identifying and addressing challenges in a principled, transparent manner
- Maintain a collaborative approach to negotiations
- Effectively communicate the consequences of not reaching an agreement
- Speaker: Barbara Crane
Marina Room Hyatt Regency 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- CIPS Course: Asia/Pacific & International Real Estate (Ticketed Event)
This course addresses real estate practices in Asia and the Pacific with emphasis on cultural influences, economic trends and assessment of investment opportunities. An extra chapter on working with the Japanese is also included.
Overview The buying power of Asian investors has grown considerably, and that trend is expected to continue. As more home buyers from the Asia/Pacific region are looking outside their geographic area for investment properties, it is important to have the knowledge and preparation to work with these affluent buyers.Course ObjectivesUpon successful completion of this course, a real estate professional will be able to:
- Discuss the social, economic, political, and geographical characteristics of major countries in the Asia/Pacific region.
- Identify important characteristics of the real estate market in certain Asia/Pacific markets, including influential laws and real estate and brokerage practices.
- Evaluate opportunities in certain Asian markets by analyzing significant investment patterns, investor profiles and real estate activity.
- Discuss ways to develop a business network to start or enhance an international practice with Asian clients or properties.
- Discuss techniques to promote properties, markets, and professional services.
- Speakers: Fanny Y. Chu, May Wan
Seacliff B Hyatt Regency 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- CRS Course: Building a Team to Grow Your Business (Ticketed Event)
Even the most talented and dedicated agents have limits on what they can accomplish alone. To take your business to the next level once you've reached a plateau, you'll need to hire some help. Whether you are a solo agent wanting to close more transactions or a rainmaker looking to increase your team's market share, hiring the right person can help grow your business. This course offers strategies for delegating and outsourcing tasks to help you focus on activities that make you the most money. Course instruction and workshops cover a range of responsibilities related to hiring team members, whatever your stage of business growth.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize signs that it is time for you to hire
- Assess options for growing your business such as virtual and on-site assistants, coordinators, buyer specialists, and listing partners
- Apply techniques for soliciting qualified candidates and conducting successful interviews
- Weigh options for team member compensation, work status, licensing, contracts, and job titles and responsibilities
- Implement effective management practices related to onboarding, performance reviews, accountability, and work flow
- Speaker: Dale Carlton
Seacliff A Hyatt Regency 8:30 AM - 4:45 PM
- Napa Valley Wine Tour (Ticketed Event)
In the mid-1800’s, Chinese planted first vineyards in Napa, dug the first wine caves, erected majestic stone bridges, mined $16 million of mercury, and built several roads and railroads; altogether creating nearly the entire early agricultural and transportation infrastructure of this world famous wine region. Join us to discover some of the surviving evidence of these important contributions to Napa’s success, including visits to a century old wine cave and stone bridge, plus viewing of a mosaic that uniquely portrays the Chinese experience in America. This excursion is led by Darin Ow-Wing, Director of Education for the Chi-nese Culture Center, and a native of Napa Valley.
- Historic and cultural sites
- Wine tasting and tour at 2 Wineries (Beringer and TBD)
- Wine & cheese at the Hatt Building in downtown Napa
Napa Valley Offsite 1:30 PM - 2:45 PM
- Fair Housing Compliance & REO Management
- Fair Housing Compliance & REO Management provides instruction on all of the federal fair housing laws, including the Civil Rights Act of 1866, the Fair Housing Act and the Equal Credit Opportunity Act. It also provides instruction on pertinent fair housing regulations that have been issued by the Department of Housing and Urban Development, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Department of Justice and other federal agencies that have regulatory or enforcement responsibility for fair housing issues. The course also covers the latest fair housing developments addressing disparities in the maintenance of bank-owned REO properties and the fair housing responsibilities that real estate professional have when managing REO assets.
- Speaker: Lisa Rice
Seacliff C Hyatt Regency 1:30 PM - 3:00 PM
- Growing Your Business through Company Acquisitions and/or Attracting Top Agents
- Hear from in Industry Leaders as they discuss how they have grown their revenue through purchasing another real estate firm or acquired a real estate team. This session will also discuss key elements of establishing a fair price for the purchase. Additional discussions will include strategies for recruiting top agents.
- Speakers: Bill Aboumrad, Jim Park, Orhan Tolu, Debbie Wong
Bayview A Hyatt Regency 1:30 PM - 2:45 PM
- Sensitivity Training to Serve Our Veterans
- Serving our country with a spirit of excellence and dedication is what our Veterans did best!
Unfortunately, many Veterans experienced traumatic events while serving that had an adverse effect on their ability to cope and adjust to life as a civilian.
This session will show real estate professionals how to recognize the signs and symptoms that are consistent with individuals suffering from PTSD. We will also cover the following topics:
- Understanding the Effects of Trauma: Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Crisis and Suicide Prevention
- Raising National Awareness About PTSD
- Helping Veterans In A Crisis
- The Holidays and PTSD
- Speaker: Marion Napoleon
Seacliff D Hyatt Regency 3:00 PM - 4:15 PM
- REO Rehab
- As the industry shifts with markets across the country recovering, hear from experts on how inventory is rebuilding and stabilizing communities. Why banks are choosing to repair properties across different markets and how this will help your clients.
- Speakers: Mital Amin, Sharon Bartlett, Brent Taggart, Angela Vander Werf
Seacliff C Hyatt Regency 3:30 PM - 5:00 PM
- theEDGE Session: Tech Your Business to the Next Level
- Join us in this interactive session and hear directly from Google, Facebook, Yelp, Uber and ERA about how to maximize technology platforms into your business. Following brief presentations will be a round-table carousel to interact in smaller groups with the panelists. Bring your laptops and tablets to take notes and learn to leverage the mobile world!”
- Speakers: GieFaan Kim, Chris Trick
Bayview A Hyatt Regency 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM Garden Room Hyatt Regency 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
- International Welcome Reception (Open to All Registered Attendees)
- Network with AREAA members and leadership, international attendees, real estate executives, technology strategists and real estate professionals that represent all facets of the industry we serve. Meet and greet other professionals in the exciting field of international real estate, expand your network of business partners and connections, exchange best practices, and discuss strategies for the continually changing economic landscape. Attendees are encouraged to wear their traditional ethnic attire!
Marketplace Hyatt Regency
Time Description Room Location 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM Grand Ballroom Foyer Hyatt Regency 8:00 AM - 8:45 AM
- Opening Ceremonies
- Join AREAA as we welcome attendees to the 2015 National Convention with a parade of chapters and a presentation of the latest Welcome Home for Heroes $10,000 Grant to a Veteran in need presented by VRM and the AREAA Education Foundation.
- Speakers: Carmen Chong, Allen M. Okamoto, Cheryl Travis Johnson
Grand Ballroom Hyatt Regency 8:45 AM - 9:30 AM
- General Session: No Other
- Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders are the fastest growing minority in the United States over the last decade, with a purchasing power expected to top $1 Trillion by 2017. Despite this significance, AAPI are often categorized simply as “Other” in many research and government publications. Featuring some of the most knowledgeable minds on the subject, this session will discuss the importance of giving AAPI a distinct category so that businesses may better understand the trends and statistics affecting this powerful market.
- Speakers: Brad Blackwell, Betty Lo, Tim Owens, Jim Park, Lorna May Ho Randlett
Grand Ballroom Hyatt Regency 9:45 AM - 11:00 AM
- Breakout 1: Senior Housing
- With the Baby Boomer generation retiring, and people living for longer than they ever have before, this has become one of the most important markets an agent can service. Hear about working with people on fixed incomes, learn about different reverse mortgage options, and so much more in this highly anticipated panel.
- Speakers: Peter H. Bell, Allen Chiang, Ginni Field, Mike Franklin, Marc Gould
Seacliff A Hyatt Regency 9:45 AM - 11:00 AM
- Breakout 3: Tomorrow’s Luxury Market: A Case Study of the Bay Area
- The Luxury Marketing Council of San Francisco, in partnership with HSBC, presents a roundtable discussion comprised of Bay Area real estate luminaries familiar with the luxury consumer with the purpose of soliciting insight and trend information about the marketplace in the remainder of 2015 and beyond. Particular focus will be placed on providing information and feedback with respect to the following:
- Current state of the residential real estate market with particular focus on the luxury sector
- How are global investors, particularly Asian, approaching the Bay Area real estate market? Current activity and likely trends?
- Geographical markets, regions or localities showing the most growth
- Buyer and seller demographics and behavior
- Emerging niches (e.g., GenX, Millennial, Young tech buyers)
- Current and future inventory situation
- The client-agent dynamic: What does it look like today and how has it changed
- Impact of technology on client behavior and agent marketing
- Speakers: Patrick Barber, Mike James, Alf Nucifora, Michi Olson, Alain Pinel
Seacliff C Hyatt Regency 9:45 AM - 10:00 AM Grand Ballroom Hyatt Regency 10:15 AM - 10:30 AM Grand Ballroom Hyatt Regency 10:45 AM - 11:00 AM Grand Ballroom Hyatt Regency 11:15 AM - 12:30 PM Seacliff A Hyatt Regency 11:15 AM - 12:30 PM
- Breakout 5: Updates on Commercial Real Estate Trends
- As you know, commercial real estate is very broad and complicated with many niche markets and product types. Come by and learn from the experts from different commercial trade organizations on latest trends they are seeing in the market. Learn how trade organizations can help you be more productive and competitive in this ever growing and expanding industry.
- Speakers: George Chao, Kevin Chin, Mike Fields, Jeffrey M. Finn, James Huang, Ghassan Sader
Seacliff B Hyatt Regency 11:15 AM - 12:30 PM
- Breakout 6: Becoming Luxury: How to Establish Your Presence
- Take the first step toward becoming a luxury agent. Learn from the best about what it takes to service this lucrative market, from how to capture leads to properly marketing a luxury property and more.
- Speakers: Randy Char, Brett Dickinson, Christine Dwiggins, David Friedman, Roh Habibi, Ivan Sher
Seacliff C Hyatt Regency 11:15 AM - 11:30 AM Grand Ballroom Hyatt Regency 11:30 AM - 11:45 AM
- Connecting the Right Way!
- In this presentation, you will learn about the true art of networking and how to connect with people that you contact on a daily basis. You will also learn how to follow up properly to help you build strong relationships so you can become your client’s first thought when buying or selling real estate.
- Speaker: Mony Nop
Grand Ballroom Foyer Hyatt Regency 11:45 AM - 12:00 PM Grand Ballroom Hyatt Regency 12:30 PM - 1:45 PM Bayview B Hyatt Regency 12:45 PM - 1:15 PM
- AREAA’s Price is Right Game
- Attendees will compete to see who knows the housing market the best! In true The Price is Right fashion, contestants will be presented with anonymous listings in different markets and will have to guess the listing price based on the market trends in the area. Don’t miss out on this fun, interactive, but educational event.
Grand Ballroom Hyatt Regency 1:30 PM - 1:45 PM
- 5 Things You Need to Know About Millennials
- Millennials are changing the world before our very eyes. Whether it’s their desire for ultimate mobility, their use of the most cutting edge technology for work and play, or simply their unique purchasing habits, any business that wants to succeed must be able to peer into the minds of this ground-breaking generation.
- Speaker: GieFaan Kim
Grand Ballroom Hyatt Regency 1:45 PM - 3:00 PM
- Breakout 7: Fine Tuning Your Sales and Negotiating Skills
- Being a strong negotiator is critical to serving your clients. This panel of experts will discuss negotiation strategies, tactics, and principles to help you become more confident and more competent at the negotiating table.
- Speakers: Joel Goodrich, Linda Lee, Chris Lim, Raquel Quinet, Raffi Soghomonian, Chris Stuart
Seacliff A Hyatt Regency 1:45 PM - 3:00 PM
- Breakout 8: La Vie En Vin: The Ultimate Luxury Investment
- One of the fastest growing and most lucrative luxury markets today is the Vineyard and Winery market. Whether you are looking to buy or sell one yourself, for a client, or you are simply interested in learning more about this most luxurious and rewarding of lifestyles, this panel “uncorks” everything you need to know.
- Speakers: Gino Blefari, Sean Correa, Michael Crain, Latife Hayson, Sean Maher
Seacliff C Hyatt Regency 1:45 PM - 3:00 PM
- Breakout 9: Asian Development Trends in North America
- Asian influence on modern architecture is undeniable. Explore the world of Asian developers and discover some of the fascinating and groundbreaking projects currently underway in the US.
- Speakers: Darlene Chiu Bryant, Paul Lee
Seacliff B Hyatt Regency 2:00 PM - 2:30 PM
- The Re-Emergence of Feng Shui
- For thousands of years the Chinese used Feng Shui as a way to channel the Qi, or energy, of the world. Recently the design principles of this art have caught on in the West, and its implications on the future of real estate could not be more profound.
- Speakers: Anjie Cho, Sherry Chris, Jessica Ye
Grand Ballroom Hyatt Regency 2:45 PM - 3:00 PM Grand Ballroom Hyatt Regency 3:15 PM - 3:45 PM
- One in a Million
- AREAA’s own Randy Char sits down with the two of the stars from the hit show Million Dollar Listing: San Francisco, to discuss their paths to success, life on the television screen, and the uber-competitive San Francisco luxury market.
- Speakers: Randy Char, Justin Fichelson, Roh Habibi
Grand Ballroom Hyatt Regency 3:45 PM - 4:45 PM
- AREAA’s Got Talent “Lip Sync Battle”
- Uncover AREAA members’ secret talents! This year members will highlight their dance and lip syncing skills in what is as quickly become an AREAA convention tradition.
Grand Ballroom Hyatt Regency 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM Grand Ballroom Hyatt Regency 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- Best of AREAA Event (Invite Only)
- Address: 1425 Folsom St, San Francisco, CA 94103
Folsom Street Foundry Offsite
Time Description Room Location 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM Grand Ballroom Foyer Hyatt Regency 8:45 AM - 9:30 AM
- General Session: Lending to Asia America
- Facing unique challenges, and meeting them with unique solutions, these titans of the lending industry discuss what is being done to increase awareness and access of lending options to the AAPI community.
- Speakers: Teresa Bryce Bazemore, Ivan Choi, Lesley Corydon, Dick Lee
Grand Ballroom Hyatt Regency 9:30 AM - 10:00 AM Grand Ballroom Hyatt Regency 10:00 AM - 10:30 AM Grand Ballroom Hyatt Regency 10:45 AM - 12:00 PM
- AREAA’ s 2015 “A” List Session
- Here is your opportunity to interact with some of the industry’s top producers and learn how their experience with business planning, goal setting, marketing and innovation can benefit your business and your clients.
- Speakers: Marcus Lee, Teresa Ryan, Dottie Sheppick, Maggi Thornhill
Seacliff D Hyatt Regency 10:45 AM - 12:00 PM
- Breakout 10: International Real Estate 101
- How do you cultivate international leads? How do you overcome distance and time differences? What about currency conversion issues? Listen and learn from some of the best practitioners in the world about how to become an international real estate rockstar.
- Speakers: Janet Case, Mark Kitabayashi, Janice Lee, Caron Ling, Ian MacLeod, Nancy Suvarnamani
Seacliff A Hyatt Regency 10:45 AM - 12:00 PM
- Breakout 11: Credit and Mortgage Challenges Facing the Asian Market
- Asian Americans and Asian nationals face unique challenges when it comes to credit scores and mortgage applications. Whether you are working with clients who have thin credit files, or trying to secure a loan for your international client – this panel features some of the best and brightest minds in the lending industry to help you navigate these difficult issues.
- Speakers: Dionne Cuello, Vanessa Montanez, Jeff Needham, Tyler Russell
Seacliff B Hyatt Regency 10:45 AM - 12:00 PM
- Breakout 12: Senior Housing:The New Frontier for Asian Real Estate Investment
- Asian Investment has poured into residential real estate and office projects. Very little has so far been invested in the most profitable and recession-proof real estate opportunity: Senior Housing. This breakout session is a great opportunity for AREAA members to learn from experts in senior housing about the industry and how AREAA members and their clients can profit by investing in senior housing. Topics discussed will include:
- current trends & outlook
- site selection
- acquisition vs. new construction
- capitalization strategies
- Speakers: Joe Anderson, David Bovee, Paul Gordon
Seacliff C Hyatt Regency 12:15 PM - 1:30 PM Grand Ballroom Hyatt Regency 1:45 PM - 3:00 PM
- Breakout 13: LGBT Housing Session
- The LGBT community is increasingly being seen as one of the hottest and fastest growing market segments in real estate. This panel discusses some of the ways you can tap into this market and establish yourself as an LGBT friendly agent.
- Speakers: Alma Soongi Beck, Terrance Moore
Seacliff A Hyatt Regency 1:45 PM - 3:00 PM
- Breakout 14: Legislative Update on Housing Policy
- 2015 and 2016 are proving to be crucial years for housing policy in the US. Alternative credit system proposals, updates to RESPA/TILA, and the futures of the EB5 Program and 1031 Exchanges are just a few of the major policy issues currently being debated in Washington. Find out everything you need to know to stay up to date on the very latest policy issues in this panel discussion.
- Speakers: Barrett Burns, Anthony Hutchinson, Vijay Yadlapati
Seacliff C Hyatt Regency 1:45 PM - 3:00 PM
- Breakout 15: How to Recruit Those Serving the Asian American Market
- Learn why and how your organization can recruit diverse staff particularly, Asian Americans within your team. This session will be especially useful for brokerage, lending institutions and professionals engaged in human resources and staff recruitment.
- Speakers: Jean Clabaugh, Dionne Cuello, Joseph Lai, Gordon Wong
Seacliff B Hyatt Regency 1:45 PM - 3:00 PM Seacliff D Hyatt Regency 3:15 PM - 4:30 PM
- Breakout 16: The New Age of Marketing
- The days of a town newspaper and other traditional media making it easy to reach consumers are over. Learn how today’s social revolution and ever-expanding content-driven world are presenting real estate agents with incredible opportunity to target messages and attract buyers and sellers.
- Speakers: Herman Chan, James Dwiggins, Melissa Kandel, Danielle Moy, Ginger Wilcox
Seacliff A Hyatt Regency 3:15 PM - 4:30 PM
- Breakout 17: Commercial Capital and Finance
- It’s no secret, Asian capital and investment is a major driving force in domestic real estate. Listen to top EB5 and Joint Venture firms discuss the complexities of doing business in the US and lending to Asian investors as a domestic bank.
- Speakers: Chad Creech, Augustus Moy, Elliot Shwiro, Sam Suzuki, Rishi Thakkar, Michael Ting
Seacliff B Hyatt Regency 3:15 PM - 4:30 PM Seacliff C Hyatt Regency 3:15 PM - 4:30 PM
- Reaching the Asian American Homebuyer
- Asian Americans, especially those who have immigrated to this country, face unique challenges and circumstances in the real estate market. This panel will discuss important statistics, trends, and practices to help you more effectively serve this market.
- Speakers: Hope Atuel, Danny Chang, MJ Watkins
Seacliff D Hyatt Regency 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- Installation Gala Reception and Dinner (Ticketed Event)
- Join AREAA Leaders as they thank the 2015 National Chair Carmen Chong for her past year of service, and install 2016 Chair Vicky Silvano and her Leadership Team. Afterwards there will be a special celebration of the 2015 AREAA Person of the Year, Allen Chiang. Special performance by the musical group The Filharmonic. Fee: $150 per ticket Reception: 6:00 PM Dinner: 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM Attire: Business Formal (Black Tie Optional)
- Speakers: Mark Dacascos, Vicky Silvano
Grand Ballroom Hyatt Regency 10:00 PM - 1:00 AM
- Late Night Networking Hosted by: theEDGE Event (Ticketed Event)
- Join AREAA’s future leaders for an evening that has become a “can’t miss” event and enjoy a vibrant night of music, dancing and networking.
- Fee: $50 per ticket (includes drink ticket and entry fee)
- Address: 508 4th St, San Francisco, CA 94107 (415) 999-4291
Drake SF Offsite